Chiropractor for Neck Muscle Pain
Looking for a chiropractor for neck muscle pain? Neck pain is a very common problem, but how do you know if the pain is actually from the muscles or some other area?
Structures in the neck that can cause pain
- Joints (includes joint itself and ligaments)
Cause of painful neck muscles
- Postural stress from computer, telephone, gaming, etc
- Injuries such as car accidents, sports injuries, household strains
- Poor pillow selection
How to tell if your pain is neck muscle pain
- A muscle will be painful when it is stretched. So if you have neck pain on the right, you want to stretch the right side muscles and see if this causes pain. Simply bend your neck towards the left. If this causes localized right sided neck pain it is likely that your pain is from muscles.
- The next step is to make sure there is no pain from the joint or ligaments. Bend your neck towards the right as far as you can. If this also causes right sided neck pain, then your pain may be coming from the muscles and/or joints.
- A final step to decide is to place your right hand on the right side of your head. Firmly resist with your hand as you try to push your head to the right into your hand. If this causes right sided neck pain then the pain you have is from the muscles. If this pushing does not cause neck pain then it is most likely a joint that is your source of neck pain.
Your chiropractor for neck muscle pain will do these tests to diagnose your problem.
Chiropractic treatment for neck muscle pain
Muscles contract and tighten when injured or irritated. That is why stretching them causes pain. Once they tighten up they do not want to loosen up. They must be forced to stretch back out to their original length.
Your chiropractor will use therapy modalities to try to relax the muscles such as heat, electrical stimulation and possibly cold laser.
Also effective is to manually massage and stretch the muscles. The doctor might also do a series of active isometric stretching exercises with you to loosen you up.
And of course most importantly, your doctor of chiropractic will perform chiropractic spinal adjustments (manipulation). Adjustments stretch the muscles and moves the joints through maximum normal motion. This triggers nerves to send signals to the brain to tell the brain to allow the muscles to relax.